Monday, August 27, 2012

Cake! It's what's for lunch!

And, it is delicious!

I am having a nice slice of Aaron's birthday cake for lunch. A white almond cake with a raspberry buttercream and  raspberry coulis filling.  AAAAAA-Mazing!  I am a genius Gus!  Only problem?  My husband got a pink birthday cake, again.  I guess that's what happens when you use raspberries or strawberries.  I can deal with it, and so can Aaron.  He dealt with it so well that he had two slices last night, and he is not a big sweet person.



Here is the link to my new favorite Almond White Cake recipe. It says it's a wedding cake, but who cares.  It is the most amazing cake I've eaten or made.  Really, it's that good.   Obviously I used two 9" rounds instead of a 9x13 pan, I just baked them a bit longer.  Remember though, when baking cakes do not over bake, they will dry out.

The frosting I made was a raspberry cream cheese buttercream.  Very easy.

1 cup butter
8 ozs cream cheese
1/4 raspberry coulis
4-6 cups powdered sugar

1.  Cream room temperature butter and cream cheese together till smooth.
2.  Add raspberry coulis.  Mix till well blended.
3.  Add powdered sugar till desired sweetness and consistency are achieved.


Raspberry Coulis

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
12oz package frozen raspberries

Bring water and sugar to a boil, then boil 2 minutes.  Add raspberries and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer till reduced by half, about 10 minutes.  Strain the seed out and store in a non reactive container.  Will keep for a week in the fridge.

To make the cake I cut the top off each layer to make level and put the remaining coulis on top of each half to soak in.  I then frosted the first layer, on top of the coulis, then turned the other half over and placed it coulis side down on top of the first layer.  I did a quick crumb coat (thin icing layer) and put it in the fridge to set up.  It was kind of squishy in the middle because of the coulis.  After an hour I frosted the cake and stuck it in the fridge.

It is amazing.  Make it.  You will love it.  It is so good, I do not want Aaron to take it into work.

No comments:

Post a Comment